About Ellis Island:
Tips for Visiting Ellis Island:
Activities on Ellis Island:
- Island of Hope, Island of Tears - This 30 minute documentary film is a great introduction to the immigrant experience on Ellis Island. Free screenings throughout the day.
- Ranger Guided Tours - Free 45 minute tours on Ellis Island's history.
- Audio Tour ($8) - Available in English, French, German, Spanish, Italian & Japanese the tour consists of one hour of audio, broken into short clips for various exhibits.
- Board of Special Inquiry Program - Participate in reenactments of immigrant hearings.
Ellis Island With Kids:
- Strollers are allowed on the Ferry and inside the Ellis Island Museum.
- Grassy areas are good for picnics and breaks.
- Sing a Song of Freedom: The Story of Emma Lazarus and the Statue of Liberty - This 30 minute, interactive play with live actors is a good choice for families with children 5-12. Tickets are $6 and there are frequent performances throughout the day.
- Ellis Island Junior Ranger Program - A free booklet offers children activities to complete as they explore Ellis Island. It's available at the information booth or can be printed online.
Genealogy Resources on Ellis Island:
- Genealogy Workshops - Free monthly workshops are offered March - October on Ellis Island by the National Archives on Tracing Your Immigrant Ancestors. Workshop Schedule
- The American Family Immigration History Center - Easy access to the ships manifests is available in the center or online
- Historical Research Center - Database with thousands of family names, their origin, meaning, vital facts and earliest records found.
- American Immigrant Wall of Honor - Largest wall of names in the world.
Food on Ellis Island:
Ellis Island Basics:
- Phone: 212-363-3206
- Subway: N/R to Whitehall; 4/5 to Bowling Green; 1 to South Ferry.
- Hours: Open every day (except Christmas Day, December 25) from 9:30am - 5pm (extended hours in the summer). Ferries run every 40 minutes, but more ferries run from late spring into early fall. See Statue Cruises website for complete details.
- Ellis Island Website: http://www.nps.gov/elis/index.htm
- Ellis Island Pictures
Ellis Island Immigration Museum Admission Price:
Round Trip ferry tickets: adults $13; children age 4-12 years old $5; senior citizens age 62+ $10. There is no admission fee for Liberty and Ellis Island. Audio tour available for $8 additional charge. Ferry ticket price included with the New York Pass -- show New York Pass at Castle Clinton Bookstore for ticket.
About Ellis Island:
Security is very serious for visitors to the Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty -- everyone will clear security (including x-ray inspections of baggage and walk through metal detectors) before boarding the ferry.
Genealogy archives are housed in the American Family Immigration History Center on the island. You can do research at its accompanying website (http://www.ellisisland.org) or the National Archives and buy books about genealogy from their bookstore. To research a family member it helps to have the following information: name, approximate age of arrival, approximate date of arrival, and port of embarkation or departure. Also see http://genealogy.about.com.