Metropolitan Museum of Art in Brief:
Getting to the Metropolitan Museum of Art:
- Address: 1000 Fifth Avenue (Upper East Side Map)
- Cross Streets: 5th Avenue and 82th Street
- Nearest Subways:Take the 4/5/6 to 86th Street. Walk west to 5th Avenue and then south to 82th Street.
Metropolitan Museum of Art Basics:
Metropolitan Museum of Art Admission:
- $25 Adult
- $17 Seniors
- $12 Students
- Free for Children under 12 with a paid adult
- Free for Members
- Prices are "recommended" - any donation will gain you access to the Museum
- Access to special exhibits is included with admission
- Admission includes same-day admission to The Cloisters
Metropolitan Museum of Art Hours:
- Sunday - Thursday: 9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Friday & Saturday 9:30 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- Galleries are cleared 15 minutes before closing
Metropolitan Museum of Art Tours:
- Museum Highlights Tours: Offered throughout the day, these volunteer led one hour tours are a great introduction to the Museum's collections (free with admission)
- Gallery Talks: These one hour talks focus on the contents of a single gallery (free with admission)
- Audio Guides: Get detailed information at your own pace and on pieces of your choice (not all pieces are included), including the Museum's permanent collection and special exhibitions ($7, $6 for members, $5 for children under 12)
About the Metropolitan Museum of Art:
The collections of the Metropolitan Museum attract more visitors than any other attraction in New York City, about 5 million per year. It is impossible to see the entire collection in one day, or even in a few days, so I recommend you choose an area or two of interest, or take the Museum Highlights Tour which occurs throughout the day, starting around 10:15 a.m.
Notable Works: With such an extensive and comprehensive collection of art, it is difficult to pick out the highlights, however the Met's website offers a several suggested itineraries which highlight ways to take in a selection of the Museum's offerings.