The Bottom Line
- Fun way to explore a neighborhood, landmark or museum
- Engaging and quick paced
- Some tours are oriented to families
- Great for New York City locals and visitors alike
- If you want to win, you'll have to move along at a pretty good pace
- Watson Adventures Scavenger Hunts Price:
$15-38 per person, including museum admission (when applicable)
- Most Watson Adventures Scavenger Hunts are offered on weekends.
- Hunts often sell out a few weeks in advance.
Reserve Your Spot
- Wear comfortable shoes and on non-museum hunts dress for the weather.
- If you're participating in a museum hunt, arrive early enough to check extra bags and coats.
- Some scavenger hunts are geared toward families, while others are adults only.
- Top Locations:
Guide Review - Watson Adventures New York City Scavenger Hunts
The basic premise of the scavenger hunt was fairly simple -- we worked as a team (teams can have up to 6 members) following directions around the Metropolitan Museum of Art trying to solve a series of clues, that would lead us to identify the murderer and his/her motive.
The clues brought us all over the museum, and we were in nearly constant motion during the two hours we had to solve the murder. It was neat to explore areas of the Met that we had never visited before, and the experience gave us a great sense of the vastness and breadth of the Met's collection. Each team started with a different clue, so while we occassionally saw some of the other teams, we weren't constantly on top of each other.
After completing all our clues, we headed to the meeting point to have our score calculated. Points were given for correctly solving each clue, as well as for determining the murderer and the motive (and bonus points for good team names). Some teams took a leisurely approach to moving around the museum, which left them with lower scores but time to enjoy the artwork, while my team managed to get through all the clues but had little time to savor the museum's impressive collections.
Even though we didn't win the hunt, we really had a fun time exploring the museum. We thought it would be a particularly fun way to include a museum on your itinerary if some of your travel companions aren't especially fond of wandering around museums.
Whether it's your first trip to New York City or you've lived here for years, Watson Adventures Scavenger Hunts offer the opportunity to explore a variety of New York City neighborhoods and institutions in a fun and interesting way.