Governors Island in Brief:
Official Website: www.govisland.com
Governors Island Basics:
Visiting Hours: Governors Island is open to visitors Saturdays and Sundays from late May until September 39, 2013. The Island opens to the public daily at 10 a.m. and closes at 7 p.m. Governors Island will also be open on Holiday Mondays, including Memorial Day and Labor Day.
Good to Know About Governors Island:
- Governors Island has drinks and water for sale, but no water fountains.
- There are numerous options for food, but it's also a great place to bring your own picnic.
- Dogs and pets are not allowed on Governors Island.
- There are public restrooms.
- I'd recommend arriving at least 30 minutes before your ferry departure time for both traveling to and from Governors Island.
About Governors Island:
The remaining 150-acres of Governors Island is managed by the Governors Island Preservation and Education Corporation. Governors Island offers a variety of educational, non-profit and commercial activities for visitors.
Things to do on Governors Island:
- Picnicking - Pack a picnic, bring a blanket, and enjoy yourself. Alternatively, there is plenty of food for sale from a variety of vendors on the island.
- Car-free Biking - you can bring your own bike over on the ferry, or rent one from Bike 'n Roll.
- FIGMENT's Art Installations - Including Mini-golf, interactive sculptures and a tree house, FIGMENT's installations on the Parade Grounds are fun for the entire family
- Concerts - The Beach @Governors Island - hosts concerts throughout the season, and is also just a fun place to hang out when you're on the island
- More Events - Check out This Week's Events on Governors Island to see the wide variety of different activities taking place on the island, including everything from art installations and food events to mini-golf and farm stands.