Ellis Island was the point of entry for over 12 million third class and steerage passengers arriving by steamship to New York City between 1892 and 1954. Immigrants processed at Ellis Island underwent legal and medical examinations before being cleared for entry to the United States.
Today, the halls of Ellis Island have been transformed into a museum dedicated to sharing the experience and stories of these 12 million immigrants to New York City. Through a variety of interactive displays, tours and displays, visitors to the Ellis Island Immigration Museum can learn about New York City's rich immigrant past.
1. Getting To Ellis Island and More
The Ellis Island Immigration Museum is located on Ellis Island in the New York Harbor. To get to Ellis Island, you'll need to take a ferry from Battery Park City or New Jersey. We've put together ferry directions and details about the Ellis Island Immigration Museum, as well as some interesting facts about Ellis Island to help you plan your visit.
More: Get Ellis Island Directions and Details
2. Ellis Island Tours
Are you looking for a tour of Ellis Island? Here are several options:
- Ellis Island Audio Tour - $8 - Self-paced audio tour available in English, French, German, Spanish, Japanese, Italian, Mandarin, Arabic and Russian. The tour combines both narration and first-hand accounts of the experience at Ellis Island. Single tour covers both Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. There is even a special tour available for children 6-10.
- Ellis Island Ranger-Guided Tour - This free tour of Ellis Island lasts about 45 minutes and is offered hourly. There are no tickets required for the tour and it's handicap-accessible.
- Free Ferry Building Tour - Sign up for this tour when you arrive at Ellis Island, as space is limited. The tour is offered on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, as well as some weekends at 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. This Ellis Island Tour examines the exhibit "Future In Balance: Immigration, Public Health and the Ellis Island Hospitals" which explores the United States Public Health Service, its employees and immigrants treated for a variety of illnesses.
3. Ellis Island Visitor Tips
Make the most of your trip with these tips for visiting Ellis Island.
4. Can You Visit the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island in The Same Day?
More: Read about Seeing the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island in One Day
6. Ellis Island Photos
Prepare for your visit to Ellis Island or relive it by checking out these Ellis Island Photos.