Niagara Falls straddles the international U.S./Canadian border, offering visitors on both sides beautiful vistas, boat rides and more. It's located about 17 miles from Buffalo, NY and about a seven-hour drive from New York City. It's ambitious to travel to and from Niagara Falls from New York City in a single day, but it can certainly be done. You can choose to visit as part of a tour group or make the trip on your own. You might also choose to spend a night in Niagara Falls before returning to New York City, the choice is yours!
1. Traveling To Niagara Falls on Your Own
If you want to visit Niagara Falls on your own, you can choose to go by car, bus, train or plane.
- By Car: Depending on your level of adventure and tolerance for long car rides, you might choose to rent a car in New York City and make the nearly 400 mile drive up to Niagara Falls. If traffic cooperates (the earlier you leave New York City, the better) you can make the trip in about 7-7.5 hours.
- By Train: Amtrak service to Niagara Falls from New York City takes about 9.5 hours.
- By Bus: It takes 9-11 hours to take the bus from New York City to Niagara Falls.
- By Plane: Flights to Buffalo, NY & Toronto, Ontario (Canada) take only 45-60 minutes, but travel time is a bit longer once you factor in time getting to/from airports, clearing security, etc. It's still the fastest way to travel and should take 3-4 hours each way.
2. One Day Tours of Niagara Falls from New York City
These companies offer one-day tours from New York City to Niagara Falls, with travel by air. Tours visit both American and Canadian sides of Niagara Falls, so you'll need a passport (& visa if applicable).
3. Multi-Day Trips to Niagara Falls from New York City
If your schedule allows, you should plan to stay in Niagara for at least one night -- it's a long trip to take in a single day. Make it easy for yourself with one of these multi-day tours to Niagara Falls:
- Niagara Falls Trips from Tours4Fun - choices include 2-3 day trips to Niagara Falls from New York City, including options for shopping, seeing the Thousand Islands, Corning Glass Center, Philadelphia and Washington, DC
- Two Day Trip to Niagara Falls from Viator - bus transportation and overnight accommodations, as well as tours included.