- Exchanging your foreign cash or Traveler's Checks for American cash can easily (though sometimes expensively) be done at Currency Exchange Offices and many of New York City's larger banks.
- Typically you'll get the best rate for buying U.S. dollars once you arrive in the U.S.
- It often makes sense to exchange in bulk -- commission rates often decline as the amount of money exchanged increases.
- Some currency exchange offices offer free (or inexpensive) buy-back programs. Even with popular chains, you will probably have to do the buy-back at the location of the original transaction in order to get the favorable rate.
- Exchange rates are typically better in the city than at the airport currency exchange locations.
Where to Exchange Your Foreign Currency in New York City:
Do call ahead to confirm that a particular branch will be able to accommodate your particular foreign currency.
- Travelex: Find a Travelex NYC Branch (Jamaica = JFK Airport; Flushing = LGA Airport)
- American Express Travel Offices: NYC American Express Travel Office
- Chase Bank Offices: Chase Branch Offices
- Currency Exchange International: NYC CEI Locations
What is the current exchange rate?
- You can find the current exchange rates published daily in the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal.
- You can also check current exchange rates online.