The New York City Wine & Food Festival offers over 100 events featuring famous chefs and culinary personalities from New York City and around the world. You can even feel good about indulging at these events, since all proceeds benefit the Food Bank for New York City and Share Our Strength's No Kid Hungry Campaign.
The events range from panel discussions and walk-around tastings to gala celebrations and sit-down dinners, with prices from $20-400. Some of the most popular events sell out quickly, so if you see something in particular that appeals to you, buy a ticket to guarantee your spot.
Many events will take place at Piers 92 and 94 in Midtown West, but there are events taking place all over the city for this four-day food and wine extravaganza. One thing that's great about this festival is that you can choose to spend four days totally immersed in it, choose a single event to try or put together the perfect combination of events just for you.
The "signature" event of the NYCWFF is the Grand Tasting taking place on Saturday and Sunday. This all-day event runs from noon - 6 p.m. and includes food and wine tastings, as well as demonstrations and book signings by celebrity chefs.
With so many other events to choose from, it can be difficult to even know where to begin, so I've combed the list and I'm sharing my picks for the weekend:
- Manresa: An Edible Reflection hosted by David Kinch - Thursday, October 17 ($250)
- Blue Moon Burger Bash presented by Pat LaFrieda Meats hosted by Rachael Ray - Friday, October 18 ($225)
- Rockin' Dumplings and Rollin' Sushi presented by Eater hosted by Masaharu Morimoto - Friday, October 18 ($150)
- Greenmarket Brunch hosted by Geoffrey Zakarian- Saturday, October 19
- Four and Twenty Blackbirds Pie-Making Master Class - Saturday, October 19 ($200)
- Times Talks: Mario Batali & Michael Symon - Saturday, October 19 ($35)
- Taste NY Brunch hosted by The Honorable Andrew Cuomo and Friends - Saturday, October 19 ($150)
- Tacos and Tequila hosted by Bobby Flay - Saturday, October 19 ($225)
- Oktoberfest hosted by Andrew Zimmern - Sunday, October 20 ($95)
- Classic Crab Boil at Willow Road - Sunday, October 20 ($85)
- La Sagra Sunday Slices hosted by Anne Burrell and Adam Richman - Sunday, October 20 ($95)
- Blood, Bones, and Bubbly hosted by Gabrielle Hamilton and Anthony Giglio - Sunday, October 20
Be sure to read the full details of each event to be sure you know what you're getting -- there's nothing more disappointing than thinking you'll be sitting down to a full-service meal only to find out you're actually at a panel discussion with no samples! The website does a great job of highlighting the important info for each event, including whether it's seated (if it's not indicated, expect to stand), what sort of attire is appropriate and whether the event in indoors or outside.
If you're traveling to New York City specifically for the NYCWFF, you'll appreciate that there are hotels offering special festival rates. Please note, to get the rate you'll need to contact Carol Press at 786-206-2717 or Carol.Press@protravelinc.com.