The Morgan Library and Museum Facts:
- The Morgan Library was originally converted into a public institution by J. P. Morgan, Jr. in 1924 in memory of his father, John Pierpont Morgan.
- Highlights of the Morgan collections include a Gutenberg bible, Near Eastern carvings, original Mozart and Beethoven manuscripts, and illuminated texts.
- In 2006, a massive renovation of the Morgan Library and Museum was completed, joining the three historic buildings through an enclosed glass courtyard.
Tips for Visiting The Morgan Library and Museum:
- There is a free tour at 2 p.m. on weekdays which offers a great overview of the collection and explains the museum.
- If you can't join a tour, the security guards are very knowledgable and can point out some details you might miss.
- Visit the Morgan residence - the space is now used for the gift shop and dining room.
- In Mr. Morgan's Library, if you peek between the bookcases that are on the left when you enter the room, you can see a hidden staircase.
- There is a free bag and coat check available for visitors.
The Morgan Library and Museum Basics:
- The Morgan Library and Museum Address: 225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street
- The Morgan Library and Museum Phone: 212-685-0008
- Nearest Subway to The Morgan Library and Museum: No. 6 to 33d Street
Dining at the Morgan Library and Museum:
Both the Cafe and the Dining Room offer a variety of options for lunch Tuesday through Sunday, with dinner being served on Friday night in both venues and brunch in the dining room on weekends.
- The Morgan Cafe
Casual dining in the museum's central court, with salads, sandwiches and desserts.
- The Morgan Dining Room
Enjoy a more upscale experience at the Morgan when you dine in the original Morgan Family dining room.
The Morgan Library and Museum Admission:
- Adult $12
- Senior (65+) $8
- Student (with ID) $8
- Child (under 16) $8
Admission is free for members and children 12 and under (when accompanied by an adult). Admission is also free on Fridays from 7 - 9 p.m.
The Morgan Library and Museum Hours:
- Tuesday - Thursday: 10:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Friday: 10:30 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- Saturday: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Sunday, 11 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Closed Mondays, Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and New Year's Day
Pictures from The Morgan Library and Museum: