The Bottom Line
- Lots of full color pictures
- Compact size makes it very portable
- Candid, helpful write-ups of hotels, restaurants, bars, and stores.
- Included map is of limited use.
- Small number of listings in each category can be limiting.
- Wallpaper* City Guide: New York is 103 pages, measures 4.25" x 6.25" and was published in 2006.
- Wallpaper* City Guide: New York list price: $8.95.
- Buy Wallpaper* City Guide: New York
- Wallpaper* City Guides
Guide Review - Wallpaper* City Guide: New York
The 24 Hour Itinerary offers an exciting (if exhausting) sampling of New York City, safely managing to avoid cliches without ignoring some classic New York City spots.
Landmarks and Architour sections feature buildings representing the diverse architecture and design of New York City, with interesting historical background and pictures of each building.
Listings in the Shopping and Sports and Spas sections are handpicked and while there are references to some of New York City's big department stores and areas with American chain stores, there are only a handful of stores with detailed listings.
Travelers thinking of leaving town might be inspired by the Escapes section, with listings including New Canaan, Connecticut (home to Philip Johnson's Glass House) and Shelter Island, but this section is more of an afterthought than a resource.
Critical information is packed into the Resources section at the rear of the book, which keeps the book uncluttered, but requires page flipping to figure out how much hotels cost, as well as addresses, phone numbers and websites for relevant listings. The Resources section parallels the order of the book instead of having the listings in alphabetical order, which I find counterintuative.