April can be a great time to visit New York City -- despite the fact that the weather can be both wet and unpredictable. With Easter, the Tribeca Film Festival and the Macy's Flower Show all taking place, there are many fun events throughout the month, and the promise of warm weather, as well as April school break, make it a popular time to visit.
- Average High: 60°F (16°C)
- Average Low: 45°F (7°C)
- April can be rainy, but the warmer temperatures make it more comfortable than March
- there is an average of over 4 inches of precipitation in April
What to Wear:
- pack an umbrella -- you'll be happy to have it when it starts to rain
- a waterproof jacket or trench coat is recommended -- while umbrellas are helpful, nothing compares with a good raincoat
- pack sweaters and long pants to wear -- it can be cool, particularly at night and when it's wet, it feels even colder
- closed toe shoes, comfortable for walking and water-resistant if possible
- warmer weather means outdoor activities are more inviting
- Central Park's growing greenery is great to visit in April
- the Easter Parade is a great chance to have an "only in New York" experience
- rainy weather
- the week of school break is a popular time for vacationing families and can be crowded
Good to Know:
- Many American schools have spring recess in April -- a week off of school.
- Easter Weekend can mean closings on the Friday before Easter, as well as on Easter Sunday. However, Easter Monday, which is often a holiday in Europe, is not commonly observed and will have little impact on stores, restaurants and New York City institutions.