- Average High: 83°F (28°C)
- Average Low: 69°F (21°C)
- August can be quite hot and humid, though it's a bit cooler and drier than July, especially later in the month.
What to Wear:
- pack an umbrella
- a light sweater or waterproof jacket (for keeping warm in the air conditioned museums and stores)
- closed toe shoes, comfortable for walking and water-resistant, if possible
- a picnic blanket is great if you want to check out some of the free concerts and movies
- if it's too hot for a walking tour, check out some of New York City's bus tours
- many summer concerts and outdoor film festivals to see (most of which are free!)
- subways and streets can be uncomfortable in the heat
Good to Know:
- Drink plenty of water -- it's easy to get dehydrated when it's really hot.
- If you want to go to any of the movies or free concerts in New York City parks, bring a blanket and pack a picnic dinner -- you can even bring some wine and beer if you're discrete. It's a great experience and truly gives you a taste of being a local New Yorker.
- Harlem Week
- HBO/Bryant Park Film Festival
- Baseball Season
- Women's Liberty Season (WNBA)
- Central Park SummerStage
- Shakespeare in the Park