I'll let you know a secret: October is my favorite month in New York City. I love the cool, crisp fall air which is (in my mind) the perfect weather for exploring. The crowds (& heat) of summer are gone and the holiday visitors have not yet descended on the city, meaning you might find yourself exploring a near-empty gallery or on a tour that's not at full capacity. So, shhh... don't tell anyone!
- Average High: 65°F (18°C)
- Average Low: 50°F (10°C)
- October is a beautiful month to visit New York City. The weather tends to be very comfortable for exploring -- warm days and cooler nights are perfect for walking around the city and there's no discomfort as you go in and out of attractions, museums and stores.
What to Wear:
- a sweater or medium weight jacket (for keeping warm in the evenings)
- closed toe shoes, comfortable for walking and water-resistant, if possible
- weather is perfect for enjoying walking tours
- colorful fall foliage in Central Park peaks
- days are warm and evenings are cool
- Halloween offers many fun activities for visitors, including the largest Halloween Parade
- Columbus Day Parade
- hotel prices and airfares are starting to rise as NYC enters its peak travel time
Good to Know:
- Columbus Day, celebrated the 2nd Monday in October creates a three-day weekend which is a popular time for visitors from the northeast