If you're seeing a Broadway Show in New York City, you may be wondering where to eat before (or after) the show. These recommendations all offer delicious meals a short walk from Broadway theaters and many offer prix-fixe menus, promising both a transparent price-tag and a timely arrival at the theater.
My advice: I highly recommend making reservations if you want to dine before your show. Depending on how leisurely a meal you like, I suggest making a reservation approximately 2 hours before your show time. If you're going to a show at 8 p.m., a 6 p.m. reservation will allow you to enjoy your meal and still get to the theater before the show starts.
More Suggestions: Times Square Restaurants
- Address: 251 West 50th Street (Broadway/8th)
- Telephone: 212-581-1818
- Cuisine: contemporary Mexican
- Hours: Sun & Mon: 11:30 a.m.-10 p.m.; Tues - Thurs: 11:30 a.m.-11 p.m.; Fri & Sat: 11:30 a.m.-12 a.m.
- Price Range: tacos/quesadillas: $12-19; entrees: $20-39
- Website: toloachenyc.com
2. Sushi of Gari 46
- Address: 347 West 46th Street (8th/9th)
- Telephone: 212-957-0046
- Cuisine: sushi
- Meals: Lunch: Monday-Friday: Dinner: Daily
- Price Range: sushi entrees: $29+
- Website: http://www.sushiofgari.com/46.html
3. DanjiI'll start with the bad news: Danji is very popular and doesn't take reservations for groups smaller than 6, so you'll have to arrive early and be prepared to wait if you want to dine before your show. That said, their small plates of Korean cuisine (both traditional and modern interpretations) are outstanding. Garlic honey wings and bulgogi beef sliders were standouts when dining there recently.
- Address: 346 West 52nd Street (8th/9th)
- Telephone: 212-586-2880
- Cuisine: Korean small plates
- Hours: Lunch: Mon-Fri 12-2:30 p.m.; Dinner: 5:15 pm - Midnight (1 a.m. on Fri & Sat)
- Price Range: small plates: $10-18
- Website: www.danjinyc.com
4. Sushi Zen
Sushi Zen serves up the neighborhood's best sushi, in a serene setting. Fish is impeccably fresh and reflects both traditional and creative preparations. Sushi Zen also offers several tasting menus ($55-75).
- Address: 108 West 44th Street (6th/Broadway)
- Telephone: 212-302-0707
- Cuisine: Japanese/Sushi
- Hours: Mon-Fri noon - 2:45 pm; Mon-Sat 5:30 - 10 pm (5 p.m. Sat), closed Sunday
- Price Range: entrees $25-80+
- Website: http://sushizen-ny.com
- Address: 828 Eighth Avenue (50th St)
- Telephone: 212-399-4444
- Cuisine: contemporary American
- Hours: lunch Mon-Fri 12-2:30 pm; brunch Sat/Sun 11:30-3 pm; dinner Mon 5:30 - 11:30 pm; Wed-Fri 5:30 - 12 am; Tues/Sat 5 pm-12 am; Sun 4:30-11:30 pm
- Price Range: prix-fixe lunch $16.95; prix-fixe dinner $35 ($49 w/wine pairing), a la carte available
- Good for Groups? Yes (private rooms available)
- Website: www.restaurantthalia.com
6. Osteria Al DogeFans of Osteria al Doge appreciate the high-quality cuisine served up at moderate prices at this theater district restaurant. The menu features a variety of pizzas, pastas and main courses that will satisfy those seeking Italian cuisine.
- Address: 142 West 44th street (7th/Broadway)
- Telephone: 212-944-3643
- Cuisine: Italian/Venetian
- Hours: lunch and dinner daily
- Price Range: entrees/pizzas $16-32
- Good for Groups? Yes
- Website: http://www.osteria-doge.com/
7. LattanziThe only downside of pre-theater dining at Lattanzi is missing out on the outstanding Jewish-Roman menu that's only available after 8 p.m. once the theater-goers have left. Pastas, grilled meats, fried artichokes and the housemade napoleon are all highly recommended.
- Address: 361 West 46th St (8th/9th Aves)
- Telephone: 212-315-0980
- Cuisine: Italian/Roman/Jewish
- Hours: Lunch: 11:30 a.m.–2:30 p.m.; Dinner: 4:30 p.m.–11:30 p.m.
- Price Range: approx $40-50 per person
- Website: http://www.lattanzinyc.com
8. Trattoria TrecoloriClassic Italian cuisine is served with rustic flair at Trattoria Trecolori and you might end up leaving surprised at how affordable it is. Pastas (particularly black linguini) and housemade desserts (including tiramisu) are especially delicious.
- Address: 254 West 47th Street (Broadway/8th)
- Telephone: 212-997-4540
- Cuisine: Italian
- Hours: lunch and dinner daily
- Price Range: most dishes $12-28 (specials tend to be higher)
- Good for Kids/Groups? Yes (private parties also available)
- Website: http://www.trattoriatrecolori.com/
9. FireBirdFireBird offers a beautiful setting and impeccable service for experiencing fine Russian cuisine. Borscht and caviar are highly recommended, as is their selection of vodkas.
- Address: 365 West 46th St (8th/9th Aves)
- Telephone: 212-586-0244
- Cuisine: Russian
- Hours: Lunch: Mon-Sat 11:45-2:30 p.m.; Dinner: Mon/Tues & Sun 5-9 p.m. Wed-Sat 5–11 p.m.
- Price Range: lunch prix-fixe $20; dinner prix-fixe $44.98; (a la carte also available)
- Website: http://www.firebirdrestaurant.com/
10. Angus McIndoeAngus McIndoe offers great service, a pleasant atmosphere and strives to accommodate theater-goers and ensure you'll arrive at your show on time. Excellent raw bar offerings and delicious mains will please traditional and adventurous diners alike.
- Address: 258 West 44th St (Broadway/8th Ave)
- Telephone: 212-221-9222
- Cuisine: American
- Hours: Mon/Tues 12–11 p.m.; Wed/Thurs 12–11:30 p.m.; Fri/Sat noon-midnight; Sun 12–10:30 p.m.
- Price Range: entrees $17-28 (porterhouse for 2, $79)
- Good for Kids/Groups? Yes (private parties available)