One of the greatest things about shopping in New York City is that there is a store for nearly everything -- you just need to know where to go. For foodies visiting New York City, we've put together a list of recommended stores for finding stellar ingredients and top notch kitchen equipment. Foodies beware: make sure you've got plenty of room in your bags to pack the treasures you buy!
Broadway Panhandler Basics
- Address: 65 East 8th Street (between Broadway & University)
- Phone: 212-966-3434
- Closest Subway: 6 to Astor Place, N/R/W to 8th Street-New York University
- Best Bets: Le Creuset, knives
Eataly is a wonderful combination of a top-notch Italian food market and casual eateries. They offer walking tours of the market as well as other educational programming. The market sells the very same ingredients that they use to prepare the food they serve at the many restaurants. In addition to the casual "first come, first served" La Piazza, Il Pesce (fish), Le Verdure (vegetables) and La Pizza & Pasta, you can reserve at the year-round rooftop beer garden, Birreria, and the formal restaurant in Eataly, Manzo.
- Address: 200 5th Avenue (Entrances on 5th Ave & 23rd Street)
- Phone: 212-229-2560
- Closest Subway: N/R to 23rd Street; 6 to 23rd Street
- Best Bets: imported pastas and cheeses; Italian kitchen gadgets
If you're looking for an elusive ingredient or spice, look no further than Kalustyan's. This Gramercy shop is full of top notch ingredients, from rices and beans to spices and dried fruits. There is a particular emphasis on Indian and Mideastern ingredients, including great frozen canapes and fresh breads.
- Address: 123 Lexington Avenue (between 28th & 29th Streets)
- Phone: 212-685-3451
- Closest Subway: 6 to 28th Street
- Best Bets: spices, teas, coffees, dried spices
4. Kam Man Food Products
This Chinese market carries a vast array of Chinese ingredients, cooking tools and dinnerware at great prices. They also have extensive tea offerings and a fun selection of frozen foods. There are a lot of Chinese medicinal ingredients for sale as well -- the large apothecary jars with sharks fin and birds nests are worth a look.
- Kam Man Food Products Address: 200 Canal Street (at Mulberry)
- Phone: 212-571-0330
- Closest Subway: 6/J/M/Z/M/N/Q/R/W to Canal Street
- Best Bets: teas, Chinese candies, dinnerware, rice steamers
- Address: 254 Bleecker Street (between 6th & 7th Avenues)
- Phone: 212-243-3289
- Closest Subway: A/C/E/F/V/B/D to West 4th Street
- Best Bets: artisan and seasonal cheeses
Russ started selling herring from a pushcart after immigrating to the Lower East Side from Eastern Europe and the business has been run by his family ever since. Russ & Daughters is the ideal place to get your fix of Jewish delicacies, from lox and sable to rugalach and babka. They also have extensive mail order options if you're looking to have souvenirs or gifts sent home.
- Address: 179 East Houston Street (between Orchard & Bowery)
- Phone: 212-475-4880
- Closest Subway: F/V to 2nd Avenue; J/M/Z to Delancey; 6 to Bleecker
- Best Bets: smoked fish, dried fruits, rugalach, babka
- Hells Kitchen Location Address: 533 West 47th Street (between 10th & 11th Avenues)
- Hells Kitchen Location Phone: 212-265-5580
- Closest Subway to Hells Kitchen Location: A/C/E to 50th Street; N/Q/R to 49th Street
- Chelsea Location Address: 236 9th Ave (between 24th and 25th Streets)
- Chelsea Location Phone: 212-929-5900
- Closest Subway to Chelsea Location: A/C/E to 23rd Street
- Sullivan Street Bakery Best Bets: Roman-style pizza and pane Pugliese
Located on Manhattan's Upper West Side, Zabar's is practically a New York City institution. Downstairs, you'll find yourself entrenched with local New Yorkers as you wind your way through the narrow aisles. It's a great place to pack a picnic to enjoy in Central Park, or to pick up some delicious foods to bring home with you. Upstairs, you'll find an incredibly well stocked kitchenwares store with great prices.
- Zabar's Address: 2245 Broadway (at 80th Street)
- Zabar's Phone: 212-787-2000
- Closest Subway to Zabar's: 1 to 79th Street
- Zabar's Best Bets: coffee, smoked salmon, chocolate babka, pickles, cherry strudel
- Zabar's Pictures: Zabar's Photo Gallery