What is Thanksgiving?
Thanksgiving Day is a harvest festival. Popular in the United States and Canada
, it is generally seen as a day of feasting and expressing gratitude. The origins of Thanksgiving are often contended -- it is generally accepted that the first Thanksgiving was held in 1621 at Plymouth Plantation
, but some argue it was first held in 1565 in St. Augustine, Florida.
When Is Thanksgiving?
Thanksgiving Day is the fourth Thursday in November
- 2013: Thursday, November 28, 2013
- 2014: Thursday, November 27, 2014
- 2015: Thursday, November 26, 2015
- 2016: Thursday, November 24, 2016
What You Should You Know About Thanksgiving
- Thanksgiving marks the official beginning of the Christmas holiday season in the United States.
- Thanksgiving is probably the most widely celebrated American holiday.
- Most Americans spend Thanksgiving with their families.
- Thanksgiving is a popular travel time in the U.S., so you may find flights and hotels to be expensive.
- Thanksgiving is a U.S. Federal Holiday.
- Schools, banks and post offices are closed on Thanksgiving.
- Many restaurants, most stores and attractions are closed on Thanksgiving.
What To Do on Thanksgiving Day in New York City