The Bottom Line
- Friendly, entertaining tour guides
- Great introduction to Greenwich Village
- Good choice for entertaining out of towners
- Fun tour for meeting other travelers
- Not geared toward children
- Drinks are extra and can add up
- Easy to get tipsy during the tour
- Bars Featured on Tour:
- Kettle of Fish
- Minetta Tavern
- White Horse Tavern
- Learn about Greenwich Village's famous writers and their favorite watering holes on this Pub Crawl.
- Greenwich Village Literary Pub Crawl Price: $20 for adults, $15 for students/seniors (drinks extra)
- The tour is offered on Saturdays at 2 p.m. and leaves from the White Horse Tavern.
- The tour lasts about 3 hours and includes about a mile of walking.
Guide Review - Greenwich Village Literary Pub Crawl
Our tour guides were actors who work with the Bakerloo Project, and revenue from the Greenwich Village Literary Pub Crawl helps to support this non-profit theater company. Our pair of tour guides were brought the neighborhood and history to life, particularly through their dramatic readings of works that were written in Greenwich Village. They were both knowledgeable and played off each other quite a bit, making the tour not only educational but also really fun.
Working our way from bar to bar, our tour guides stopped frequently along the way to point out where famous writers lived and worked, as well as other neighborhood landmarks. At each bar we had a chance to have a cocktail or beer (additional charge), while the tour guides shared information about the history of the bars and the writers who hung out there.
Do be warned: having a drink at each bar is likely to leave you soused by the end of the tour. This can make it fun to hang out with your fellow tour takers, but it can make it tough to see or do anything more in the afternoon.
Some Writers Featured on the Tour:
- Dylan Thomas
- Edgar Allen Poe
- Bob Dylan
- Susan Glaspell
- Louisa May Alcott
- Eugene O’Neil
- Henry James
- Edna St. Vincent Millay
- Hart Crane
- Allen Ginsberg